Call your representative.
Contact your representative and the Senate Governance and Finance Committee urging them to support this legislation.
Calling your representative can be a powerful way to enact change. Letting your representative hear from you is a great way of keeping him or her informed on where the voters stand and also holding them accountable to their communities.
Find your representative, find the committee voting on the bill, and find the members of that committee.
o Find your representative (click here). Knowing who represents you in both the Senate and the Assembly is an important first step any time you want to be involved in the lawmaking process.
o Senate Governance and Finance Committee Contact Information. The committee reviews important information on a bill so they can make the right decision. Committees generally share a group of staffers who help run the committee. The best way to get in contact with a committee is to fax over any letters about your stance on a bill.
· Fax: (916) 322-02498
o Senate Governance and Finance Committee Members Contact Information. Committee members are the people who actually vote on a bill in the early stages of making a law. They are in charge of holding hearings to get information from the public and they generally wants to hear from people and communities. A great way to urge committee members to vote 'yes' on a bill is to call their offices.
· Senator Mike McGuire (Chair): State Capitol, Room 5061, Sacramento, CA 95814-4900; (916) 651-4002
· Senator Janet Nguyen (Vice Chair): State Capitol, Room 3048, Sacramento, CA 95814-4900;
(916) 651- 4034
· Senator Jim Beall: State Capitol, Room 2082, Sacramento, CA 95814-4900; (916) 651-4015
· Senator Ed Hernandez: State Capitol, Room 2080, Sacramento, CA 95814-4900; (916) 651-4022
· Senator Robert M. Hertzberg: State Capitol, Room 4038, Sacramento, CA 95814-4900; (916) 651-4018
· Senator Ricardo Lara: State Capitol, Room 5050, Sacramento, CA 95814-4900; (916) 651-4033
· Senator John M. W. Moorlach: State Capitol, Room 2048, Sacramento, CA 95814-4900; (916) 651-4037
Review the Bill. Being informed on a bill before speaking to a representative is very important so you can get your point across in the best way possible.
o Link to full text of SB 1363 (click here)
Call your representative. To help with the process of making this call, NAMI has posted some helpful tips and things to say when talking to your representative and committee members (click here).